Dryer Vent Cleaning
Many fires can be prevented with proper dryer duct cleaning. In Canada it is recommended that all North American style clothes dryers be cleaned on the inside by a qualified appliance technician. The Government of Ontario recommends that this service be done every year to remove lint from the rotating drum. The lint will build in other areas also. It is also true that a loose wire could cause a spark inside the clothes dryer. The time frame for this service would depend on many factors. The main factor is the style of dryer ducting you have. If your dryer duct is not 4 inches round, the lint may not flow as well as it should.
What are the warning signs that dangerous lint build up is occurring in your dryer and venting system?
Well, the symptoms may include:
- Clothes take longer and longer to dry
- Clothes don’t fully dry
- Clothes are hotter than normal at the end of the drying cycle
- The outside of dryer gets very hot
- The outside exhaust vent flapper does not open very much indicating low exhaust velocity
- Laundry room becomes more humid than it is usually
- Burnt smell is evident in the laundry room.